Photo competition launched to celebrate Telford and Wrekin’s Local Nature Reserves
Telford & Wrekin Council has launched a photography competition today, encouraging residents - young and old - to visit the borough’s Local Nature Reserves during the Christmas holidays.
The ‘My Walk Today’ campaign aims to highlight the wild and green spaces on our doorstep by focusing on a different one of the borough’s 17 Local Nature Reserves for each day of the school Christmas holidays.
Telford residents are being encouraged to visit as many of Telford and Wrekin’s Local Nature Reserves as possible over the holiday period and to take and submit photos to show their walks as part of the council’s ‘My Walk Today’ Christmas photography competition.
Photos can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org in either the adult or under-16s category, and should be accompanied by a short caption beginning “What I like about this green space is…”. Full details on how to enter can be found below.
Cllr Carolyn Healy, Cabinet Member for Climate Change, Green Spaces, Natural and Historic Environment, said:
“Winter’s a great time to visit our Local Nature Reserves. We have 17 now in Telford and Wrekin (including four awaiting formal designation), and they’re wonderful spaces for walking, relaxing and reconnecting with nature.
“We’d love to see everyone’s photos of the Local Nature Reserves that they visit this Christmas, and find out what people love about them.
“The council recognises the huge environmental and wellbeing benefits that our green spaces offer. We have already taken steps to protect more than 1,000 hectares under our ownership in the borough, including through the Local Nature Reserve (LNR) declaration processes.
“Telford & Wrekin Council is on your side. We will protect, care and invest to create a better borough. As part of our COVID recovery, we’re investing an extra £16m into projects that will make the borough cleaner, greener, safer and more enjoyable, including £2m to enhance and protect our precious green and open spaces, and £1m in our wonderful parks. This is on top of £50m already going into neighbourhood and enforcement services.
“These spaces are such an asset for our community. Let’s use them and celebrate them!”
Local Nature Reserves in Telford and Wrekin include:
- Apley Woods
- Dawley Hamlets
- Granville Country Park
- Ketley Paddock Mound
- Lightmoor (awaiting formal declaration)
- Lilleshall Hill
- Limekiln Woods
- Lodge Field
- Madebrook Pools and Strichley Dingle
- Madeley Pit Mounds
- Randlay Valley (awaiting formal declaration)
- Rough Park (awaiting formal declaration)
- Telford Town Park
- The Beeches
- The Cockshutt (awaiting formal declaration)
- The Ercall and Lawrence’s Hill
Find details about all of the borough’s 17 Local Nature Reserves
***** MY WALK TODAY - PHOTO COMPETITION *****
HOW TO ENTER
- Entries should be emailed (or sent via WeTransfer) to email@example.com
- Entries must include the photographer’s name, the category they are entering (adults or under 16s), a contact email address and phone number (of a parent or guardian if under 16), the name of the Local Nature Reserve where the photo was taken, and a short caption beginning “What I like about this green space is…”.
- There is no limit to the number of photos entrants can submit.
- Deadline for entries is 5pm on Friday 21 January 2022.
- All entries stand a chance of being featured in future council publications.
- One adult winner and one under-16 winner will each receive 4 tickets to adventure golf or disc golf at Telford Town Park and will have their photo featured on the council's social media channels.
- By submitting photos to this competition, entrants give the council permission to use the images free of charge and uncredited in this and future campaigns.
- By submitting photos to this competition, entrants confirm that they have permission from any individuals featured in the images to share the photos with the council on the terms above.
- The council will choose a winning adult and under-16s entry and will contact the winners by Friday 11 February 2022. The council’s decision is final and no discussion will be entered into.
- While we welcome photos submitted by employees of Telford & Wrekin Council, these entrants will not be entered into the competition but their photos may still be featured.