Changes in Coronavirus Restrictions on April 12
On Monday, 12 April, many more lockdown measures will be eased across England.
From April 12, non-essential shops will start to re-open.
It’s now more important than ever to support your local high street and shop local.
Face coverings will be mandatory for anyone while shopping unless you are exempt. Social distancing rules remain in place.
The following changes will take place from April 12:
- Hairdressers, beauty salons and other close-contact services can re-open.
- Outdoor hospitality services will open for outdoor table service ONLY. The Rule of Six will apply (up to six people or two separate households)
- Public buildings like libraries and community centres will re-open.
- Indoor leisure centres and gyms will re-open for individual or group household exercise.
- Outdoor attractions such as zoos, safari parks, theme parks, botanic gardens and drive-in cinemas will re-open.
- Self-contained accommodation such as campsites and holiday lets, where indoor facilities are not shared with other households, will re-open.
- Weddings can take place with up to 15 people. Funerals can be attended by up to 30 people, with 15 at wakes.
- Care home residents will be able to nominate two named individuals for regular indoor visits (following a rapid lateral flow test).
- All childcare and supervised activities will be allowed indoors and outdoors for all children. Parent and child groups can take place indoors and outdoors for up to 15 people (children under 5 will not be counted in this number).
Telford and Wrekin Libraries
Three Telford & Wrekin Libraries will re-open:
- Southwater One
Opening hours are as normal.
Public computers will be available for use, but must be booked in advance.
Face coverings must be worn at all times unless you are exempt. You will need to 'check in' via the NHS app QR codes or record your details with a library staff member.
Visit the libraries website to find out more.
Telford and Wrekin Leisure
To use Telford & Wrekin Leisure Services swimming pools or gyms, you need to book your session in advance.
Leisure centre changing rooms will stay closed to gym members - these are open for swimmers only to reduce the number of people using these facilities.
Aspirations memberships resume on 12 April. Members will be contacted directly regarding this.
Indoor classes will continue online via our Facebook page.
Indoors sports for under 18's will be able to take place.
Sky Reach in Telford Town Park will also be open but you can book your slot now.
Telford Ice Rink and indoor fitness classes are due to re-open from 17 May, in line with the Government's roadmap.
Local parking changes
Southwater Multi-Storey Car Park will re-open from 12 April and payment will resume using Tap and Go – There is no option to pay by cash at this facility
Ironbridge car parks are free until 10 May and chargeable after this date.
Free parking is available across the borough but please remember to display a ticket in Wellington and Newport.
Important rules we should all follow
There are a number of important rues we all need to keep in mind and follow.
- You should continue to minimise travel
- Where possible, continue to work from home.
- People can continue to meet outdoors as 6 individuals (The Rule of 6) OR as 2 households.
- Stay 2 metres apart from anyone not in your household or support bubble and wear a face-covering in indoor settings.
Even if you have been vaccinated against Covid-19, you should continue to follow these rules to keep yourself and others safe. You could still spread Covid-19.
Visit the Government website for further information on what you can and cannot do.
The council website has local information on Coronavirus.