Recycling and waste services update, 12 November 2020
We continue to work closely with our partner Veolia to minimise the impact of coronavirus on recycling and waste services to ensure that they can continue to be delivered safely.
Currently Household Recycling Centres and kerbside collection services are operating with no significant disruption, and we hope that this will continue to be the case over the coming weeks, though this will depend on staffing levels and guidance from Government.
Services may, however, be operating with a reduced workforce, so please bear with us and follow the guidance on visiting our HRCs and managing your recycling and waste.
Planning to visit our Household Recycling Centres?
- Hortonwood and Halesfield HRCs remain open (9am-5pm every day)
- The number of visitors allowed on the sites at any one time will be strictly limited to allow social distancing
- HRCs have been busy and queues are unpredictable, so please think carefully if you need to visit and make full use of all your kerbside collection services
- If you do to visit your local HRC, be prepared to queue for longer than usual and please be patient
- Speed up your visit by sorting your recycling and rubbish before you go, so you can dispose of it as you make you way around the site. (Halesfield HRC has had a few changes to make it easier and quicker for residents to use) - site maps are available for each site here
- Staff are working hard to help everyone who needs to use the sites, so please follow their instructions and be kind to them while they do their job.
Read more if you’re planning to visit your local HRC here
Kerbside collections information and guidance
- Reduced staffing levels may mean your collection takes place later or even earlier in the day than usual, so please ensure your containers are presented for 7am and be patient
- Minimise the amount you throw away and remember to separate your recycling and rubbish before putting it out for collection
- Break down cardboard boxes from deliveries and present inside or underneath your blue bag to help crews manage the extra bulk and fit it in the truck
- #choosetoreuse – and if you have to use disposable face coverings, keep them out of your paper and card recycling bags - put them (and disposable gloves) in your red top bin
- Help to keep yourself and your collection crews safe by wiping the handles of bins and recycling containers when you put them out for collection, and please wash your hands thoroughly before and after you touch the containers
- Make sure your car is parked considerately - with more people working from home, our crews are experiencing difficulties accessing some roads on collection day
- Give your collection team a friendly, socially-distanced wave to let them know their efforts are appreciated - or why not leave them a #StreetSmiles message of thanks!
Other useful links to save you time
Many service requests (e.g. reporting a missed collection, ordering extra containers) can be done more quickly online here
You can also choose to sign up to our 'My Telford' service, where you can report and track the progress of requests, see local services and access lots more information. Register here