More children than ever get place at one of their preferred secondary schools

Thousands of children across the borough will be offered places at secondary schools today, with more children than ever who applied on-time being offered a place at one of their preferred schools.

More children than ever get place at one of their preferred secondary schools

Today – 2 March – is National Offer Day, when children up and down the country will learn which secondary school they will attend for the 2020/21 academic year.




In Telford & Wrekin, we received more secondary applications than ever before and have offered more places at first preference schools compared to previous years.   


2217 applications were received on time and every applicant who applied was offered a school place. 


Of those, 1,762 (79.5 per cent) received their first preference, 204 (9.2 per cent) their second preference and 58 (2.6 per cent) their third preference.
In total 92.2 per cent of applicants were offered a place at one of their preferred schools, with the remaining 7.8 per cent offered alternative places.


Councillor Shirley Reynolds, Telford & Wrekin’s cabinet member for Children, Young People and Education, said: “The number of applications we’re receiving is increasing, but we’re working hard, together with schools, to meet demand.


“We’re continuing to provide more places through our commitment to expand secondary schools within the borough and have made sure that, once again, no-one who applies on-time is without a place.


“We’ve also been able to offer the vast majority of applicants one of their preferences”


There were 172 families who weren’t offered a place at one of their preferred schools. 

When submitting an application parents are able to submit up to 4 school preferences. 

However, less than 10 % of these families took up the option of submitting 4 schools preferences.


Councillor Reynolds added: “Putting down only one school doesn’t increase your chances of getting in there, it just increases your chances of disappointment. We strongly recommend that all families visit their local schools and then use all four preferences on their application form.”


The application process for school places is now entirely online, meaning parents can view their results on offer day, rather than having to wait for a letter to be posted out to them.


                                                               2019        2020
Total Number of Applications                 2124       2217
1st Preferences Met                               1748       1762
2nd Preferences Met                                177         204
3rd Preferences Met                                   69           58
Any Preferences Met                              2010       2045
Alternative Offers                                      114         172
No Offers                                                       0            0



                                                                  2019       2020
1st Preferences Met                                   82.3%     79.5%
2nd Preferences Met                                    8.3%       9.2%
3rd Preferences Met                                     3.25%     2.6%
Any Preferences Met                                   94.6%    92.2%
Alternative Offers                                           5.4%     7.8%
No Offers                                                            0          0





You might also like

Investing in Telford and Wrekin

Telford & Wrekin Council has explained the need to borrow in order to invest in ventures that make profits which are then spe.. Read more

Council Tax to increase in line with residents’ feedback

Telford & Wrekin Council is set to listen to the views of residents and stick to its original plan t.. Read more

Council deal sends the right Signal

Telford & Wrekin Council and commercial broadcaster Signal 107 FM have agreed a 12 month marketing partnership which will.. Read more

Government cash to fund promoting Telford to new markets

Telford & Wrekin Council has successfully secured a grant of £75,000 to support local businesses wit.. Read more

Jon Richardson ‘Old Man’

Star of ‘8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown’, British Comedy Award nominee and three-times runner-up in Heat Magazine’s ‘Weird Crush’ poll .. Read more

 

Loading...