Advice on the difference between taxis and private hire vehicles
Follow these simple but important rules when you need to book a taxi or private hire vehicle whilst enjoying a festive night out.
- Always pre book your private hire vehicle or use a licensed taxi known as a Hackney Carriage that you can either hail in the street, pre-book or pick up at a taxi rank. It is illegal for a private hire vehicle to take an unbooked fare and if it’s not booked the vehicle may not be insured and the details of your journey cannot be traced.
- Know where Taxi ranks and private hire pick up and drop points are:
Telford Town Centre: Red Oak Car Park, Southwater Way (top of Service Road to Southwater Square and overflow) TF3 4FW, Telford Central railway station TF3 4LY
Madeley High Street TF7 5AH
Wellington Bus Station TF1 3ED, Station Approach TF1 1BY, Belmont Car Park, Tank Bank TF1 1HJ (Thursday, Friday and Saturday Nights)
Oakengates Bus Station, Stafford Road TF2 6JH
- Look for the drivers badge as this must be worn at all times. The badge has a photograph of the driver on and is issued by the council to licensed drivers once they have passed all the checks. If they are not wearing it – ask to see it to make sure that the driver is the licensed person.
- If you book via an app or ring using your mobile phone you can then forward your booking confirmation text a friend or relative so they know how you are getting home.
Taxi marshals are on duty at Red Oak Car park in the Telford’s Town Centre on the following nights to help you get to your pre-booked vehicle or direct you to the taxi rank.
- Saturday 22nd /Sunday 23rd December
- Wednesday 26th/Thursday 27th December
- Saturday 29th /Sunday 30th December
- Monday 31st December/Tuesday 1st January
Finally, if you are going out together, make sure you go home together. Have a safe and happy Christmas!