Improvements to Hollies Road and surrounding area starts next week
Major improvements to Hollies Road and the surrounding areas in Wellington is due to start on 17 September as part of Telford & Wrekin Council’s Pride in Our Community 2018/19 capital investment programme.
Improvements will include:
- Resurfacing and reconstruction of the road and footpaths along Hollies Road, Orleton Lane, Cranage Crescent and Steventon Road. This will include kerb replacements where required
- Drainage repairs and reshaping of the road on Orleton Lane
- Replacement of the existing traffic calming measures with speed cushions along Hollies Road and Orleton Lane
All of the signs and ironwork within these roads will be replaced
- A permanent weight restriction for through traffic (Hollies Road and Orleton Lane) will be imposed
- Spring Hill will be resurfaced between the roundabout and the Orleton Lane junction
Locals raised concerns about the condition of the roads and footpaths in 2016 and petitioned their local councillor Graham Cook to take action. They also expressed their concerns about speeding traffic and HGVs using the area as a cut through.
The Council has since been working through an extensive feasibility study and drawing up plans for the improvement works needed. Earlier this year, the Council confirmed that it had allocated around £600,000 from its Pride in Our Community investment programmed to deliver the improvements needed.
Work starts on 17 September 2018 and is expected to be completed by mid-December 2018. Temporary road closures will need to be in place to deliver the improvement, but these will be phased in order to keep disruption to local residents and businesses to a minimum.
Local residents and businesses are being kept updated with what will be happening and given advice on parking and access during the works. Other stakeholders, including emergency services, have also been advised of the upcoming work programme.
Further information, including FAQs, is available here.
Anyone with any concerns or special access requirements whilst the works are in progress is asked to get in touch via email to email@example.com , marking the email for the attention of Tim Evans, reference Hollies Road Project, or to speak to the contractor’s staff.