Pride In Our Community improvements - week beginning July 23
Gosh what a scorcher! Take care in this heat everyone and look after the elderly and vulnerable. Here’s details on what our crews are doing this week around the borough, plus also a link to the Telford Community Pride Awards:
* New footbridge – work to construct the larger bridge span continues and this will be lifted into place during September.
* Roads – Highway improvements will be taking place in Milners lane, Dawley, King Street, Wellington and Fenns Crescent, St Georges.
* Footpaths – Work will continue in Dawley & Aqueduct, Wrockwardine Wood & Trench and Brookside
* Road lining – Road lining crews will be working along the A442 this week as part of the annual dual carriageway maintenance programme which continues until the end of July. Details of the maintenance programme (what’s happening when, including details of any diversions), are on the website http://www.telford.gov.uk/…/dual_carriageway_maintenance_20…
* Street lighting – crews are focusing this week on upgrading lights to more energy-efficient LEDs on the A442 Queensway under night closures. They are also upgrading lights in Oakengates and Great Dawley. If you have a question about street lighting, please email email@example.com.
* Potholes fixers – ‘Find it Fix it’ crews are filling potholes that have been reported to us. Please report any you spot here http://www.telford.gov.uk/…/street_care_and_…/454/potholes/2 or via the Everyday Telford app.
* Get live updates on street works and traffic management schemes in Telford here https://telford.roadworks.org/
* Litter picking, grass cutting and pruning – with the continuing hot & dry weather, we have suspended grass cutting and deployed teams to concentrate on tree works (lifting low hanging branches and removing epicormic growth), grass edging/strimming, pruning and street cleansing. Anyone wanting to report an issue with littering in their area can do so here http://www.telford.gov.uk/…/street_littering_and_litter_bins.
*Grass cutting is still suspended due to the prolonged dry weather. However a team is following the grass cutting route to mow any areas of growth – e.g. shaded and wet areas
* Pride in Our Community Street Champion volunteers – volunteers are doing a champion job in our communities. To volunteer as a Street Champion in your area email firstname.lastname@example.org. For other volunteering opportunities visit http://www.telford.gov.uk/volunteering.
* Telford Community Pride Awards 2018 has opened for nominations – know someone who deserves to be recognised for the work they do in the community? The Awards celebrate the truly remarkable people, groups and businesses who make the borough a better place. Award categories are set out below – to nominate visit http://telfordcommunityawards.co.uk/
1. Best Environmental Champions
2. Best School Environmental Project
3. Sporting Achievement Award
4. Inspirational healthy Lifestyle Award
5. Best Community Support Group/Individual
6. Social Responsibility Champions
7. Outstanding Educational Achievement
8. Outstanding Volunteer (3 awards for groups, under 18s and adults)
9. Unsung Hero
10. Good Neighbours Award
* We will be investing £600,000 Pride In Our Community funding to promote safer routes to schools and improve safety outside schools. This will include a range of road safety and traffic calming measures, including 20mph signing and speed indicator devices. A recent review has identified 35 schools across the borough where safety improvements can be made.