Pride In Our Community improvements - week starting 4 June
Here’s what our crews are working on and also an update on the new footbridge…
* New footbridge: One of Europe's largest cranes will be arriving in Telford at the end of June to lift the first section of the new footbridge into place. The project funded by a Government Department for Transport grant, replaces the existing footbridge that connects Telford Central Station to the town centre.
The project is well under way with large sections of steel for the first smaller railway bridge being assembled adjacent to the A442, ready for hoisting into place. This heavyweight structure will be lifted into place in early July.
Such a complex operation requires the LG1750 crane which is ideal for high, heavy lifts and will be assembled on a southbound section of the A442 over a three-day period.
Consequently a number of road closures are necessary. The southbound section of the A442 will be closed from June 27 to July 2 and overnight closures on the northbound lanes will also be in place for safety precautions while the bridge is lifted.
Rail travel is uninterrupted and all trains will continue to run with access to Telford Central station maintained throughout the works. There will however be a partial closure of the car park between midnight and 7am on Sunday 1 July.
Full details of traffic diversions are available here www.telford.gov.uk/footbridge
* Roads – Highway improvements commence on Wombridge Road and Abbots Close, Oakengates. Work will also be undertaken on Cloisters Roundabout to install new high friction surfacing.
* Car Parks – Work continues on Brindleyford and Bishopdale.
* Footpaths – Weather permitting, work will continue in Dawley & Aqueduct, Wrockwardine Wood & Trench and Hadley & Leegomery.
* Road lining and signage – Road lining crews will be undertaking lining works on Beveley Roundabout and Dawley Green Way as well as on a find and fix basis across the borough. Signing crews will be working on the B5062 and B5063 undertaking maintenance of existing signs.
* Street lighting – crews are this week upgrading lights to more energy-efficient LEDs in Wellington, Wrockwardine, Stirchley, Oakengates, Dawley and Hadley & Leegomery. Crews are on course to complete all the upgrades on schedule in 2019. If you have a question about street lighting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Potholes fixers – ‘Find it Fix it’ crews are filling potholes that have been reported to us. Please help by reporting any you spot here http://www.telford.gov.uk/info/20046/street_care_and_cleaning/454/potholes/2 or via the Everyday Telford app.
* Litter picking and grass cutting– estate crews will be out litter picking in areas around Brookside, Sutton Hill, Woodside, Hollinswood, Randlay, Stirchley, Malinslee, Leegomery and College. Anyone wanting to report an issue with littering in their area can do so here http://www.telford.gov.uk/info/20046/street_care_and_cleaning/513/street_littering_and_litter_bins/2.
* Environmental maintenance: The first weed spraying route for the borough has been completed and weeds should be starting to die back.
* Summer bedding is being planted in parks and other key sites this week and will bring an abundance of summer colour. Many of the planting schemes are done in partnership with parish and town councils and photo shoots will be arranged this week.
* Wellington town centre is being deep cleansed over the next two weeks. This work includes power washing, graffiti removal and gum busting.
* Pride in Our Community Street Champion volunteers – volunteers are out doing a champion job in our communities. To volunteer as a Street Champion in your area email email@example.com. For other volunteering opportunities visit www.telford.gov.uk/volunteering.
Get live updates on street works and traffic management schemes in Telford here https://telford.roadworks.org/
More about Pride in Our Community here http://www.telford.gov.uk/pride