Update on Newport’s half-a-million pound roads resurfacing and repair programme
More details have been revealed about this summer’s concentrated resurfacing and repair work to be carried out on a number of roads in Newport.
The work is due to begin on 26 July at the start of the school summer holiday in order to keep disruption to a minimum. The whole works programme is expected to take around eight weeks to complete. The work is, however, weather dependent and the schedule below is subject to change:
• Upper Bar/Wellington Road/Avenue Road/High Street junction: 26 July to 31 July: Carriageway reconstruction will be carried out at this junction with a closure in place on Wellington Road and Avenue Road and two-way traffic lights on High Street. Works to the Avenue Road car park junction will be carried out on Sunday 31 July 6am-10pm.
• Lower Bar: 1 to 3 August: Carriageway reconstruction will be carried out between the mini island and the canal bridge with a closure in place on Lower Bar. There will be no access from Lower Bar, Chetwynd Road, Water Lane or the petrol station exit.
• Forton Road/Chetwynd Road: 4 to 18 August: Carriageway resurfacing and some reconstruction will be carried out in five phases between Chetwynd Road and Forton Roundabout. This includes a section of Chetwynd Road by the Kings Head. Sectional road closures will be in place for each phase of works.
• Ashworth Way/Wallshead Way/The Dale: 12 to 19 August: Carriageway resurfacing from Granville Road to The Dale (including surfacing either side of the old railway bridge) This site will be split into three phases and each section/road will be closed to facilitate the works.
• Lapworth Way / Vineyard Drive: 22 to 24 August: Carriageway resurfacing under a road closure from the junction with Hampton Drive to Stafford Road.
• Longford Road: 15 to 26 August: Patching, haunch and drainage works along the whole road with a closure in place between the playing fields and the Red House to Edgmond Road.
• Meadow Road: 29 August to 8 September: Resurfacing works between Audley Road and Barnmeadow Road. This will be completed under a road closure in two phases.
The £500,000 funding for the work has come from the Council’s highway capital programme as part of its ‘Pride in Your Community’ programme to make the borough a better place to live, work and visit.
“We will keep businesses and residents updated on the progress of these works and are working closely with Newport Town Council. We will make sure residents continue to have access to their homes in the streets affected. For through traffic, diversions will be signposted.”
The Project is being delivered by our principal contractor Telford and Wrekin Services with sub-contractors for Resurfacing (Tarmac Ltd.), traffic management (Amberon) and lining (HG Ash).