Leisure facilities to close as Wellington regeneration makes progress
Major works to completely rejuvenate Wellington town centre with the development of a new civic quarter mean some facilities at the existing civic & leisure centre will temporarily close on 14 March.
The swimming pool, health suite, coffee shop, body treatments and function room will all close until September to allow further works to be completed.
Users of the Aspirations fitness suite will be able to continue to make use of the gym facilities and all the equipment throughout the closure thanks to a temporary facility in the Civic and Leisure Centre.
Councillor Stephen Bentley, cabinet member for Active Lifestyles, said: “I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused at what I feel is a really exciting time for Wellington, as we continue the most extensive regeneration work the town centre has seen for decades.
We have worked hard to ensure there are viable alternatives in place while certain facilities at the leisure centre are out of action until the works are completed.”
As part of its Borough Towns Initiative regeneration programme, Telford & Wrekin Council is investing £8.5m in Wellington Civic Quarter.
The project will make the new civic quarter the heart of the local area and provide a range of new facilities for the local community.
Work is already well under way and it will ultimately see the existing civic and leisure centre facilities extensively refurbished and remodelled. The site will also include a new registrar office, a state of the art modernised library, community meeting rooms and offices.
Councillor Eric Carter, cabinet member for Housing, Regeneration and Prosperity, said: “this is a huge project which will transform the heart of Wellington and give a much needed boost to the local economy.
“The civic quarter has been in our minds and plans for Wellington for a long time and we are delighted at the progress of the work. It will be a great day for the town when it is completed.”
While facilities at the existing leisure centre are closed, residents can use the following instead:
- public swimming: this is available at other pools in the borough including Madeley Court Sports Centre, Oakengates Leisure Centre and Newport Swimming Pool.
- swimming lessons: most of these will be relocated to Short Wood Swimming Pool and existing capacity utilised at other Telford & Wrekin swimming pools
- fitness suite: this will be relocated into the Function Room and will continue to operate during the closure of other facilities
- aerobics classes: this will be available at alternative local venues
- room hire: people who regularly book the function room have been written to informing them of the closure and details of other alternative venues have been provided
- health suite: saunas are available for Aspirations customers at Oakengates Leisure Centre and Newport Swimming Pool