Southwater Grand Opening programme announced
Telford & Wrekin Council has announced the programme for the grand opening of Southwater on Saturday 18 October.
The free family event will mark the official opening of Southwater, the first phase of a new £250m development, which has transformed the town centre.
The fun starts at 12pm and runs throughout the day ending with a spectacular light parade and firework finale. Events on offer are
- Family activities will run in Southwater One Library from 12pm – 2.30pm, including story telling and arts and crafts sessions.
- Markets 2pm – 9pm, selling hot food, local ales and ciders, cake and treats as well as crafts and Christmas gifts.
- Telford Ice Rink will be offering £5 entry fee on public skating sessions: 10.30am – 12.30pm, 1pm – 3pm, 8pm – 10pm – anyone attending on the day will receive a 2-4-1 pass for a return visit.
- Street theatre and entertainment will be taking place all day, with a special appearance from celebrity robot ‘Titan’ between 4pm and 6pm.
- On stage performances from local acts from Telford and Wrekin, including dance, drama and music groups between 2pm and 6pm.
- From 6pm, children’s TV and Free Radio presenters Sam & Mark will take to the stage with entertainment including their £1,000 a minute competition.
- Telford Town Park is offering 2-4-1 on all rounds of mini golf. Visitors can also hire a bike and take a guided bike ride round the park with Cycle Experience.
All Southwater facilities – including Nando’s, Zizzi’s, Bella Italia, Pizza Express, Chimichanga, Harvester, Mimosa, Cineworld, TenPin Bowling & Mecca Bingo – are now open, booking early to avoid disappointment.
The Opening Ceremony and Fireworks will begin at 8pm with a procession of giant lanterns and music around Southwater lake leading up to the grand finale of fireworks.
Southwater is the first phase in a £250m regeneration of Telford town centre, soon to be followed by a £200m regeneration and extension of the Telford Shopping Centre.
The Southwater development has been delivered as a public/private sector partnership and is aimed at creating a vibrant night time economy in Telford town centre and raising Telford’s profile as a major regional destination.
Telford & Wrekin Council leader, Kuldip Sahota, said: “We’re delighted to announce this exciting programme which will officially mark the opening of Southwater and the creation of a new heart to our town.
“Southwater has already proved a huge success attracting thousands of visitors to the borough to the Southwater One building, lake and new restaurants and cinema.
“The official opening will have something for everyone and will be a time to celebrate what we’ve achieved and for people from within and outside of the Borough to come and have a fun day out and enjoy everything that Southwater has to offer.”
The nearest car parks to the official opening location are Southwater’s multi storey car park, Brown Elm and Cherry Pink.