Council Leader and cabinet appointed
At the Council’s Annual Meeting tonight, Councillor Kuldip Sahota has been re-elected Council Leader and he has appointed his cabinet.
This follows the elections earlier this month which saw the Labour Group returned as the largest political group on the Council, with 27 out of 54 councillors.
The Council’s cabinet is as follows:
• Cllr Kuldip Sahota – Leader
• Cllr Richard Overton - Deputy Leader & Cabinet Member for Housing, Public Health & Protection
• Cllr Lee Carter - Cabinet Member for Council Finance and Service Delivery
• Cllr Liz Clare -Cabinet Member for Leisure Services and Culture
• Cllr Shaun Davies - Cabinet Member for Business, Neighbourhood and Customer Services
• Cllr Arnold England – Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care
• Cllr Angela McClements - Cabinet Member for Communities, Regeneration and Transport
• Cllr Gilly Reynolds – Cabinet Member for Employment and Skills
• Cllr Paul Watling - Cabinet member for Children, Young People and Families
Cllr Leon Murray also takes over the position of Mayor, with Cllr Jane Pinter as Deputy Mayor.
Leader Kuldip Sahota said: “I am greatly honoured to again be given the responsibility to lead the borough and the Council and I will be very well supported by my new cabinet.
“It is a cabinet that has a very strong mix of talents, with breadth of experience across many different areas and walks of life.
“As a cabinet, we are more determined than ever to keep this borough moving forward and working ever harder to improve life here.
“However, we can be in no doubt that many very difficult and tough decisions lie ahead. We know for certain that the Government will make further deep cuts in public spending.
“That is why it is more important than ever that everyone in our borough works together. It is only by working together that we can ensure that this borough stays firmly on the path we are on and that Telford and Wrekin remains on the up.”